Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Homeschooling, why in the heck would anyone do it??

Quite simply because it is awesome!
I love watching my children explore their world whether it is learning to walk or learning basic math skills.  My children keep me busy most days, mostly with questions about this or that. They are according to me quite simply wonderful little beings. I have blogged a bit about homeschooling here, our journey and my thoughts. it needs work but it's a work in progress. Much like many other things that I do.
Now I have had so many people tell me they wish they had done that, or usually a lot of people tell me that they could never do it that they aren't smart enough to school their child. I usually smile and give hope and encouragement to them. If your children are in school and you think they would benefit from being home then bring them home. Now it sounds simple but isn't always so, some kids don't want to be home. There are many reasons but most of them I find are all socially based, they want their friends. I really don't understand why people seem to think that you don't have friends when you homeschool. Sure my kids don't see the exact same kids every weekday. They do have friends lots of friends, of varying ages too! Learning at home is becoming much more popular right now and with the distance learning centers and alternative schools there are more options then there ever were.
Now what are some of my big reasons for homeschooling.
1- I didn't like the idea of full day, week long kindergarten.
2- My little guy is busy he is not a sit and do something for 5 minutes kind of kid.
3- They are little for only so long. Both of us didn't `t want him away for many hours each day

Why does homeschooling work for us and not others? I really don't know, to tell you the truth. There are days where it's not sunshine and roses. There are stormy days but they end just like every other storm we encounter. I weigh the pros against the cons and my kids always win.


Here is my with my three monkeys that I get to spend my days with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment