I love to do my grocery shopping at small local places. I like to look for things that are grown locally and are from our environment Now yes I am aware bananas are not from around here but my kids love them and we will buy them but we still buy from the small farmer shop for our veggies.
Why do I buy local?
- Well I know it is fresh and not something that has been sitting in a cold fridge for who knows how long.
- It helps sustain our local farmers. If we don't help the little guy, the man will crush him. If we want our food healthy and local we need to support local
- It's good for the children to know where their food actually come from. Yes we can talk and talk about farmers and such but seeing them and meeting them is much more important. Helps foster the younger generations knowledge in how food is supposed to be made
- In many cases I find it cheaper, when I go directly to the farm.
- Tastes better. Honestly carrots for one taste so much different in the big stores then they do from the farm. Try it you may just be surprised
You can keep it local with so many more things then food. Support mom's in business. Even if it is just that party company that every body is doing. She is trying to make a living, put her kids in sports, or even put food on their table.
Support small businesses, support home based businesses, Keep your dollars where you are, keep it local!