Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Are you a food bully?

I read this story on CNN the other day and it just made my hear ache.Allergy Bullying: When food is the weapon. I really wonder what kind of world we live in that people are so insensitive to someone with an allergy that they would threaten them with it?

Then I got thinking how so many people just don't think about people with allergies. The only thing people really seem to be aware of is peanuts and shellfish. The truth of the matter is there are so many other allergies out there with very serious consequences  The problem with some of these other allergies is it is hard to find your allergens is stuff. Say you have soy, dairy or a corn allergy, that stuff is in everything. things you wouldn't even think it would be in.

I personally really try very hard to be aware of other allergies. I will make every effort I can to try and be  senestive and keep allergens out of my families meals when there will be others around . Now some people say that is just silly and impossible,but I feel it's my responsibility. I can't see why people wouldn't be aware like that. If I know that people will be around I always ask if there are any allergies that I should be worried about. Maybe I'm a bit more sensitive because I know a number of people with very deadly allergies to what would seem to be random things. I would hate to be the person who sent someone into an allergic reaction to something that I could have prevented with just a bit of forethought.

Now I have heard some pretty crazy thing in regards to people with allergies. Some have commented on essentially removing them from the main population, like an allergy island. Or that if your child is  that sensitive that they should kept out of the public school system. The blatant disregard for other another's well being shocks me, to the core. There are many speculations as to why the rise in sever food allergies in people. One of my favorite and most likely is all the modifications and crap in our food, our bodies are just simply now rejecting it. The thing is that this is something that keeps getting worse not better. There are also allergies that people don't even know they have because they are not the life threatening. So many things are showing to be reactions for food in people, behavior, bloating, pain and many others. I suggest looking them up for a better understanding.

People with food allergies deserve to live a life with out fear. They have the same rights as you do and while your inconvience of not eating something thing while you are around them is not nearly as bad as them losing their life over your choice to not care. Think about how you would like to be treated if you had something a life altering condition, so some respect, Show some love. If you must have certain things in your meals that some one is allergic to you should to take precautions to help keep them safe. Wash your hands, don't sit beside them. They are on the look out but if you care enough to help keep them safe it is one less person for them to worry about.

Peace, Love and Kindness will go a long way :)

7 comments:

  1. I can't even imagine not being sensitive to other people's allergies. Sure, I'd love to send the PB&J to school with the boys, but I definitely don't mind not being able to if it keeps another kid safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm allergic to fruit, so I completely understand other people's sensitivities!;) I love your new look here. It's new, right? So cute and authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who is severely allergic to bees, I certainly understand the importance of being sensitive to others with allergies. I haven't heard of people being food bullies so this was an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many of my family members have allergies. Although I appreciate the efforts of others to attempt to keep allergens away, I believe it is my job to be aware and to keep people informed so that my kids are safe.
    On the other hand, allergy islands are a ridiculous concept.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know all that hoopla about trying to get a law in California to make the food companies label what has GMO's in the ingredients? Well, the reason people need to know whether they are in the food, is because they have been proven to be causing a rise in asthma and food allergies, as well as miscarriages in livestock fed with GMO grain. Now that makes me think it may be causing a raise in miscarriages and infertility in humans as well. The big corporations put a ton of cash into advertising to scare people into believing that the labels would make their food more expensive and that it was all perfectly safe. It was a close race and ultimately the label law did not pass,(some even think it did pass and then someone rigged the count later to say it didn't pass).

    Anyway, there's no law and you and I will never know if our food is genetically modified. Here's a good site to learn more about that:

    http://www.organicconsumers.org/

    My kids were both allergic to cow dairy. It made them hive. So I gave them soy, only later to discover that it wasn't good for boys, because it mimics estrogen. I kept feeding it to my girl. Then my SIL gets breast cancer and they tell her to stop all soy! Yikes! So I stopped giving it to my girl.

    Now I'm learning that most soy we get in this country is genetically modified. :( What in the world can we eat????


    ReplyDelete
  6. When my son was 2 or 3, he learned that seafood makes mommy sick. A Red Lobster commercial came on TV soon after he learned this news, and he burst into tears. The world needs more sensitive souls! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who would say " move them to an allergy island" ??
    That's so insensitive!
    Leigh

    ReplyDelete